Helpful Links

mobileCommunity Calendar Broome A to Z Economic Development Community Calendar

Small Business Information

Congratulations! You're opening a small business in Broome County.

Now that you've made the big decision, what do you do next? The Broome County Clerk's office can help you navigate through the paper maze.

First, you will need to file a Business Certificate (DBA) at the County Clerk's Office. There is a filing fee of $25.00 and we have DBA forms available for $1.00. There is a fee of $5.20 for a certified copy; you may need a copy to open a bank account.  All signatures on the DBA must be notarized, and the Clerk's Office has notaries on staff to assist you. Before filing, please search on the County Clerk's website ( to be sure that the name you've selected for your new business isn't already in use. Once you have filed the original DBA, the business name cannot be changed without filing an Amended Certificate for an additional $25.00.

If at some point the DBA is no longer needed you must file a Discontinuance of Business. Discontinuance forms are available in the Clerk's Office for $1.00 and there is no fee to file.

To make sure that there are no problems as to location, type of business or licensing requirements you should check with the municipality that you locate your business in for any applicable laws or restrictions.  If you plan to conduct business in other counties, you should file your business name with the clerk of each county in which you wish to operate.

You may have been told that you need a “sales tax number”. And now you're wondering “what is that and where do I get one”? A sales tax number allows you to collect and report NYS sales tax and may be obtained at the NYS Taxation and Finance District Office, 44 Hawley Street, 8th floor, Binghamton, NY. You may also find information on the State website

Further State requirements are set forth in New York State General Business Law (sec. 130).

You may also need a Federal ID number, also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Requirements and further information can be obtained on the IRS website, or go to the Federal Building, 11-17 Henry Street, Binghamton, NY.

Pursuant to provisions contained within Section 206 of New York State's Limited Liability Company (LLC) Law, the County Clerk has designated the following newspapers as satisfactory for publication of notices:

  • PRESS & SUN BULLETIN  (607) 798-1234
  • THE DEPOSIT COURIER  (607) 467-3600
  • THE WINDSOR STANDARD  (607) 775-0472
  • THE COUNTRY COURIER  (607) 775-0472
  • THE VESTAL TOWN CRIER  (607) 775-0472
  • THE REPORTER  (607) 724-2360

People publishing notices should pay particular attention to the geographic requirements set forth in Section 206 of NYS's Limited Liability Company Law.

There are many agencies that exist solely to help small businesses grow and thrive. Below are website addresses of agencies that can be very helpful as you begin your business and beyond.


  • Certificate of Doing Business Under an Assumed Name (DOCX)  (PDF)
  • Certificate of Discontinuance of Doing Business Under an Assumed Name (DOCX)  (PDF)
  • Certificate of Doing Business as Partners (DOCX) (PDF)
  • Certificate of Discontinuance of Doing Business as Partners (DOCX) (PDF)
  • Amended Busienss Certificate (DOCX)  (PDF)